About Me

My photo
My name is Chad Davis. I am the creation of my Lord and Savior, I am the son of Marilyn Davis and the late Carl Davis, I am the brother of Gregory Carl Davis, I am a husband to the amazing Tara Davis, and I am a friend to many; all of which put up with me and keep me in-line. I am grateful and blessed to have such an amazing cast of characters in my life. Without them, I would have nothing to write about.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

In The End

Have you ever wondered how you got to where you are today? Can you narrow it down to just one decision, or is it the outcome of many decisions? Here's a different kind of question: how many bad decisions have you made in your life? I encourage you to gander back over your life, and try to narrow down the worst decision you've made that is most responsible for your current state of being. Got it? (If you don't/can't think of that decision, these questions are just a waste of time (but if you are actually reading my blog you must be bored anyway)).

Now, think about how long it took you to make that decision.

Think about how God was involved in your final decision, or if He was involved at all?

Was your family or occupation effected most by this poor assessment? or either one?

Think about the sacrifices you made or are currently making for that decision.

Would your life be different if God was more involved in the decision making process?

The point of this is to make you realize that a poor decision can't define you. Maybe you aren't happy with where you are in life because of a bad decision; there is still time to make another choice. Just because you've already made that bad decision, does not mean that it has to be your defining characteristic. It's also likely that its not going to remain the worst choice you've ever made; there's still time to make a new one. Why not offset it by making an extremely good decision? Leave whatever poor situation you forced yourself into and start anew. Who cares if your life gets knocked off balanced and you're thrown out of your routine or comfort zone? Does it really matter in the end? How long do we actually have until the end? Any fortune cookie quote would go great right here, but I guess I'll leave you with this: life's too short to not be happy.

This is just something to provoke you, once again. I do not have an answer for you on what you should have done, nor do I have any reassurance that you have made the right decisions. I know that we are lucky to be loved so much that it really doesn't matter what decisions we make past the choice to receive Christ. I also am thankful that we get second chances. Grace is a wonderful, powerful thing. My personal outlook mirrors Solomon's conclusions on life which can be pretty gloomy at times, but one day, I think we will all look back and agree with him. I'm talking about when he explains that nothing under the sun matters. During this life, all you need to do is seek God. In this, true happiness is found. Looking back over my brief existence this holds true. Whenever I make a decision that is pleasing to the Lord or I dwell over what He really wants for me, I find that the outcome is brighter than when I seek after my own worldly desires.

4 comments:

  1. Chad,
    I love to read your thought provoking posts. I enjoy the small insights to who you are beyond just knowing what kinds of food you like to eat at Thanksgiving and Christmas...

    It was pretty easy and quick to identify one or two unfortunate decisions that I've made in the past. I like how you point out that although God will fogive us, we still must deal with the consequences of our choices, possibly for a lifetime. But indeed--in the end--none of this life matters beyond what have done in His name and for His glory.

    An in-depth reading of Ecclesiastes can have a profound impact on one's life.

    See you soon.
    Keelie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad,
    Like Keelie, I enjoy reading your thought provoking posts. They are far from boring! Thank you very much for this reminder. Thank you for "following" my blog. Have a wonderful 4th with your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad, you have to go back to my blog to see what I wrote back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chad, Josh is here. I gave him the message. When will you be at the stand?

    ReplyDelete