About Me

My photo
My name is Chad Davis. I am the creation of my Lord and Savior, I am the son of Marilyn Davis and the late Carl Davis, I am the brother of Gregory Carl Davis, I am a husband to the amazing Tara Davis, and I am a friend to many; all of which put up with me and keep me in-line. I am grateful and blessed to have such an amazing cast of characters in my life. Without them, I would have nothing to write about.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Own Accord

I'm in an anxious mood this morning. The day has just started and two miracles have already been brought to my attention. A lot of people would call this good luck, but if you are a believer then you know the source of these miracles. Even though he still has a long way to go, Keith is stable again. Stable; a word last week the Beasley's never thought would be used again in association with Keith's condition. Judy uses the word nightmare when she references last week's roller coaster of tragic events. She was to the point of telling him goodbye for good, and now, God has allowed more time to be spent by Keith's side.

The other blessing is a more sensitive and private subject, but I can tell you that there is no other explanation except for God. Both of these events happened to people that have been praying for these miracles to occur and had placed their entire situations in God's hands. In both cases, there were an abundance of people praying for these individuals and seeking God's movements. These two acts of God were enough to shake me out of a trance.

This summer, I had the intentions of drawing nearer to God. I was going to use this time to seek His guidance in my life and try to find purpose. I have done neither of these. If anything, I have been counter productive these past two months. However, I think that this little vacation has made me realize which direction I need to turn for answers. I feel that before this summer, I was doing certain things because it was the trend. Most trends have a negative connotation to them, but I think I was falling into positive trends. By slightly drawing away from my church crowd this summer, I can work on my walk and my relationship with God on my own accord.

So here's the thought provoking topic: are we Christians because it's a trend? Is it bad if we are? I think that if our heart is in the right place then we aren't in a trend. However, I think that we do a lot of Christian things because other people do them, or we think that it's expected of us. Not following? How about this, do you occasionally go to church because people would notice if you weren't there? Even though, your heart isn't in it, do you go because you don't want others to start thinking you are backsliding? If it's labeled the men's bible study, do you attend because you are a man in the church or do you go because it's an opportunity to learn more about God?

Next question, how do we break free of the trends? I have no clue. I wouldn't suggest following in my footsteps because I basically put myself on a tight rope. When I'm at work, I listen to music on my computer. The first song this morning was The Stand by Hillsong United. The chorus to this song might have the answer in it. I know it moved me, so I'll share:

So what can I say? What can I do? But offer this heart O God, Completely to You.
So I’ll stand With arms high and heart abandoned. In awe of the One who gave it all.
So I’ll stand. My soul Lord to You surrendered. All I am is Yours.

3 comments:

  1. Chad, Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and the words to this song.
    It's a lot like another song, Open Hands.
    I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good indicator of our spiritual health is the life we lead that no one knows about. The thing God wants most from us--a constant intimate relationship, well you just can't fake b/c God can't be fooled. I think if you are a Christian because it is a trend, yeah--that's bad and actually I think it's impossible.
    Once again, thanks for the thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of trends in Christianity...I have been meaning to tell you about this site if you haven't found it yet: http://stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com/

    Seriously some of the funniest stuff ever!

    ReplyDelete