About Me

My photo
My name is Chad Davis. I am the creation of my Lord and Savior, I am the son of Marilyn Davis and the late Carl Davis, I am the brother of Gregory Carl Davis, I am a husband to the amazing Tara Davis, and I am a friend to many; all of which put up with me and keep me in-line. I am grateful and blessed to have such an amazing cast of characters in my life. Without them, I would have nothing to write about.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

God the Jokester

When it is questioned whether or not God has a sense of humor, I think the answer is pretty obvious. Dave likes to make the point that the proof lies in the act of pooping; my answer is not much different because I think it's funny and completely unnecessary that we fart. One of the funniest God humor stories that I've heard in a long time actually happened to Dave at church.

One Sunday, Dave went to Life Church by himself, and he sat on the back row with two friends. When he looked up towards the front, he saw a gorgeous young lady sitting by herself. Dave, not wanting to be rude, went up and introduced himself and asked if she was alone. When she confirmed his suspicion, he invited her to join him and his two friends on the back row. She complied and joined them. Dave thought to himself that he might of actually found the first attractively available girl in Oklahoma. Dave could barely pay attention to the sermon because he wanted to learn more about this girl. During conversation with her, he asked where she went to school, to which she replied that she was a junior at Jones. Ignorant Dave, shrugged it off because he didn't know of Jones University, so he thought it must be a community college somewhere in the area. Later, he asked one of his friends about Jones.

God's first little joke: Jones is a high school in Edmond. Dave was slightly embarrassed because he had always heard that Edmond girls look older, and he never figured her for a 17 year old junior in high school. Dave, not wanting to go to jail, ceased his eagerness of getting to know this girl and started noticing the signs of her age from her actions. The first sign was that she was a little over anxious to come sit with him in the first place. The second sign came from her awkwardness in social situations (I'll explain this in a second). After the service, they all met in the lobby, and Dave introduced her to his two friends. Late in the conversation, Dave noticed the most awful and unmanageable smell coming from their circle. Dave looked at his first buddy and, under his breath, asked if he farted. The friend nonchalantly denied it. Dave looked at his other buddy and asked the same question. He too, denied it. All three at the same time looked at the girl.

God's second little joke: the girl farted. She knew she was caught by the knowing glances of the three guys. Not wanting to address the situation and extremely embarrassed, she awkwardly smiled and said that she had to go. She then, frantically rushed away from their circle. Disgusted, embarrassed, and amused, Dave left the church with his proof that God has a sense of humor. Even in His own house, God can make light of an awkward situation. Sometimes, we just have to cope with the fact that His jokes stink... literally.

4 comments: