About Me

My photo
My name is Chad Davis. I am the creation of my Lord and Savior, I am the son of Marilyn Davis and the late Carl Davis, I am the brother of Gregory Carl Davis, I am a husband to the amazing Tara Davis, and I am a friend to many; all of which put up with me and keep me in-line. I am grateful and blessed to have such an amazing cast of characters in my life. Without them, I would have nothing to write about.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dashboard Jesus

As I was driving to work this morning, I reminded myself of a small-group lesson that I put together a couple of months ago. I was sitting in my car praying and driving, as I do every morning on my way to work. Somewhere along the way, I realized that part of the time I was praying, and the other part my mind was drifting on to other things. If you were to be honest, I bet you would see that, like me, you too occasionally find yourself not grasping the concept of who God is when you are praying. Instead, our intentions are half hearted and our focus is else where. I'm guilty of getting into a prayer routine, and instead of praying because I need to talk to God, I'm praying because it's time to talk to God. To help break this habit, I have found a good way to get outside of this routine mindset. Put yourself in the situation that you are physically before the Lord. Make yourself think that God is physically standing right in front of you or sitting beside you, and you are actually talking to Him at that moment. Truth is, He really is right there beside you and you really are talking to Him at that moment. That's part of our faith; believing that God is physically there, even though we can't see Him. Personally, this is why I let my mind drift sometimes or my praises are few because I can't physically see Him. But if you were to put yourself in that situation, how would your tone change? How would your requests and your praises change? What would you actually say? It's like MercyMe's song I Can Only Imagine; what would you do in the presence of God? I am extremely guilty of not getting in the right frame of mind when I'm talking to God. To even take this a step further, how would we act if we were to get in the mindset that God is right there beside us even when we aren't praying? How would our choices and decisions differ from when we aren't thinking that God is following us around? This is a scary thought for me. I have made so many less than heroic decisions in my life that I'm ashamed to get into this mindset. It's hard for me to grasp the concept of grace when I look back on all of my intentional sins. Wouldn't it all be easier if we could just actually see Him?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Chad. I think we all have this problem. Your suggestion is a great one. We really should start praying and living like God is right beside us...because He is.

    Grace is a hard concept to grasp, but believe in it! Jesus died for all those less than heroic decisions. God doesn't see your sin--he sees the blood of Christ.

    ReplyDelete