About Me

My photo
My name is Chad Davis. I am the creation of my Lord and Savior, I am the son of Marilyn Davis and the late Carl Davis, I am the brother of Gregory Carl Davis, I am a husband to the amazing Tara Davis, and I am a friend to many; all of which put up with me and keep me in-line. I am grateful and blessed to have such an amazing cast of characters in my life. Without them, I would have nothing to write about.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Eye Beaver

You probably can't tell, but on the surface, I'm not a real emotional person. You wouldn't know this from my writing because I'm kind of a pansy when I write, but I get some kind of emotional release from blogging or journaling. A lot of people criticise me for blogging, but I think it's good for me; almost therapeutic. When I write, it's about the only way you could ever really tell what kind of mood I'm in. When I'm around people, I can fake a happy persona, but it's hard for me to write about merry and jolly things when I'm not feeling up to it.

I don't really let my feelings show unless I'm happy. Actually, it's abnormal if you see me with something other than a blissful attitude. I often claim that it's the only emotion that I'm capable of having, but that isn't true; it's just the only emotion I ever show. If I'm ever feeling anything other than happiness, you generally won't know because I always have a smile on no matter what inner turmoils I may be going through. However, I do get silent when I'm too tired to put up a front.

And then, there are the emotions that I dread. I call these the relational hazards. Almost every girl I've dated has mentioned something about my lack of emotions. I can't really get romantic or apologetic or jealous or smitten or regretful or embarrassed or whatever other emotions a relational roller coaster is supposed to take you through. The worst is trying to act surprised. I know that I'm supposed to make some kind of gesture that shows how shocked I am, but my efforts aren't always convincing. Although, one good thing about this is that I don't ever get mad.

On top of everything, I don't cry. Ever. Does this make me cold? I don't think so, but if you ever want me to show you some kind of compassion, don't expect to see tears running down my cheeks. It's not like I hold these feelings off or I fight back tears; they just don't come. If anything, I push for these emotions. I want to cry, but every time I feel moved enough to sob it just stops and goes away. I usually end up going into this coughing, choking mode because I have this lump in my throat but no way to let it out. However, I'm the king of the lip-quiver. If I ever start to open up about something really moving in front of a crowd, you can bet on my lip shaking. But no tears. I've tried to get them to roll, but it's like a tiny eye beaver built up a dam in my tear ducts. Is that a medical term; Eye Beavers?

Anyways, I do hope that some day all this will change. Maybe, it'll take some catastrophic event like having a baby or getting married to break the dam and open the flood gates to my emotions. Personally, I don't see either of those happening anytime soon.... Hopefully, not anytime soon.

4 comments:

  1. Where to start?
    Love the title!!!
    Have you seen the movie The Holiday? There is a girl on there that has an eye beaver dam, too. Great movie.
    And just a reminder: you have complete control over when those last two things happen--no "hopefully" about it.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I FINALLY read one of your blogs??? I feel like I know you a little better now!

    Not ever crying is not a bad thing. Not being emotional is not a bad thing. However, being romantic, apologetic, or the like are CHOICES. Try not to let people see the side of you that you THINK they want to see. Let them see all the wonderful facets of Chad Davis! You don't want your relationships to be superficial.

    Thanks for letting me peer into that mind of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. watch the movie "The Land Before Times"..gets me every time!

    ReplyDelete